Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DOES GOD SEE THE TREE IN THE QUAD?

Craig French posted on Twitter @craigfrench the well-known limerick purportedly summing up Berkeley's esse est percipi doctrine. Perhaps George Berkeley himself might have passed the clever limerick as a fair representation of his view. But I think it misses something. I would say that God only sees the tree when I am there, or when the good Bishop is there. When no human being is there God does not see the tree I see. He sees the dance of energy waves or more probably he has in his mind only a mathematical equation. When I am there, God sees my sensual perception of the tree: the roundness of the trunk, the spread of the branches, the greenness of the leaves. When I am not there all of these, as Berkeley should maintain, have no being and therefore God would have no cause to see them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home